International border crossing

Quick tips

  • Check the latest travel advisories from the US State Department or Immigration Canada to avoid delays
  • Arrive at least one hour early to the station
  • Make sure you comply with all visa and entry requirements from the United States and Canada

Accepted identification documents

  • Passport or passport card
  • Trusted traveler card (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • RealId/enhanced driver license
  • Merchant mariner document
  • Military Id (must be accompanied by orders)
  • American Indian card (form I-872)
  • INAC card
  • Permanent resident card (form I-551)
  • Re-entry permit
  • Refugee permit

Additional documents for minors

For border crossing purposes, a minor is anyone under the age of 16. If traveling with an organized group, such as a school trip, a minor is anyone under the age of 19. Per Amtrak policy, children under age 14 must be accompanied by an adult when traveling internationally.

  • Birth certificate
  • Consular report of birth abroad
  • Naturalization certificate
  • Canadian citizenship certificate card

Additional documents for Amish/Mennonite Old Order

Members of the Amish or Mennonite Old Order communities must furnish both:

  • Copy of birth certificate
  • Signed copy of Social Security/Medicare waiver (IRS form 4029)

Additional resources

Canada | 1-800-O-CANADA (1-800-622-6232)

United States | 1-800-FED-INFO (1-800-333-4636)

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative